Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hello Again

Almost four months! I can't believe I've gone so long without posting. Actually, I can but I'm not proud of that. Not many things have happened in the past few months. I settled in to my new job, have read hardly any books, and just spent time with my family. I spend most of my free time with my cousins or one of my two best friends. I don't know why reading has been such a hassle for me lately. I love books more than anything in the world, but honestly I haven't had the attention span to read anything. I've started probably fifteen books and put them down without reading them. I did manage to finish Will Grayson/Will Grayson. It was wonderful, but what did I expect from a book written by John Green AND David Levithan? A lot of people on Twitter, Facebook, on blogs, and in real life have said WG/WG was their favorite John Green book. I can't say that is the case for me. Paper Towns remains my favorite John Green book, with Looking for Alaska coming in a VERY close second. The idea of how our misconceptions of others that Paper Towns deals with is a subject that speaks to be, and the realizations that Q makes on his journey in Paper Towns are ones that we should all be aware of. I plan on re-reading PT soon, so perhaps I will do a blog post outlining all of my thoughts and feelings about it then.

In other John Green book news, I am currently working through the summer at a day camp of sorts that my corporation sponsors for our clients, and I recently did a bibliotherapy session based on Looking for Alaska. I have to say that I was worried about how seriously a group of boys with behavioral issues whose ages range from ages 11-17 would respond to Alaska. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have anyone make crude comments about Pudge's love for Alaska, no one laughed when my voice cracked as I was reading, and everyone was able to discuss how overwhelmingly difficult it is to lose someone that you love. Moments like the one I had on Wednesday remind me why I left my job at the library and instead embarked on a journey with these kids. Although I was happy and content to spend my life surrounded by books and people who loved them, there was more in store for me. I now have the opportunity to impact the lives of children, to help them realize that one bad choice does not have to equal a lifetime of bad choices, and to show them that someone believes that they too are destined for greatness. Yes, I miss the library, and I miss talking to teenagers who absolutely love books, but seeing a kid who has lost all hope regain a little bit of it is so much more worthwhile.

Now that I have been sappy and made excuses, I hope that I don't stay gone so long in the future. =]

No comments: