Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

End Notes: January 2011

In January I did not keep up with my reading schedule. Why do I have a reading schedule? Mainly because I have a lot of distractions (work, family, Netflix, cute British TV stars, Twitter) so I have to sometimes remind myself that I have HUNDREDS of books that need to be read. I am constantly reading, but I have a bad habit of picking up a book and reading ten pages and then setting it down. I currently have six books started that are at various stages of completion. I may finish them all next week; I may forget I was reading them and start new ones. But that is why I have the schedule. So, my goal is to read 75 books this year, and have at least 50 of those books be books I have never read before. To do that I need to read about 6 and a half books a month. Here is how I did in January:

Books Read: 4
Pages Read: 1061
Rereads: 0

Of the books I read in January, none of the books were books published in 2011 and none were books I purchased in 2011. I am reinstating the Book Buying Ban starting February 1, 2011.* In order to purchase a book I must first read a book. The book read cannot be a reread UNLESS it is a series and another book in that series has been published. I’m not sure how this will work, I pretty much caved last year when I tried this. But I need a way to reduce the number of books I buy, especially since I am having so much trouble working through my TBR list!

*I know, it is already past February 1, but I haven’t bought books since Tuesday!

1 comment:

Lisa Schensted said...

i am so with you on the reading schedule thing. some days i'm super good about reading for a few hours and other days i think "i'm going to read an hour before bed" and then have trouble keeping my eyes open for 10 minutes!

i love your idea of having a number of books per month to read, and how many books must be never-before-read books. i'm currently trying to read a book a week...but darn it all if netflix gets in the way! :)

good luck with your personal challenge!