Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reading Goals for the Coming Week

So far in January I have read three books. I know that it is hard to put that in perspective, but this time last year I had read at least double that amount. I am having such a hard time getting into books this year. Last year I was working at the library and everyday someone was asking for book recommendations or wanting me to tell them what a certain book was about. This year I am at a new job and I work with first graders. They don't really care about the newest Maureen Johnson book. I could read a hundred kid's books, and I do read with them, but it isn't the same. I knew when I left the library that I would miss connecting with people about the books that I read. I still have contact with my old co-workers and even a few of the teens that I worked with, but it isn't the same. I miss talking to people about books. That is one of the main reasons that I started this blog, to talk about the things that I don't really have people to talk to about in real life. It isn't really meant to be a review type blog, mainly because there are few books that I genuinely hate. There may be books that I wish I hadn't purchased, but honestly it is rare for me to find no redeeming quality in a book. I love books. I love them in a way that doesn't make sense to a lot of people. To be able to sit down and submerge myself in another world is incredible. I love that. I love bookstores. When I was in college and would be at the point of a stress induced breakdown I would get in my car and go to the local Barnes and Noble. When I visit new places I find the bookstores and visit them. Books are my friends and my first love. Not in a creepy I don't talk to people and never exist in the real world kind of way. But more of a I am so fascinated by the ability to weave tales that I can't help but absorb them. I'm not a writer. I am excellent at research, and I wish that I could be a storyteller, but I can't. However, I am always aware of the fact that you can't have storytellers if there is no one to listen. So, since I am in a reading funk and can't seem to actually get through a book right now, feel free to leave me suggestions. I read books of every genre, although I generally am drawn to YA and books about faery. I think my biggest problem is that I have a ton of books checked out from the library, I got a ton of books for Christmas, and I bought a bunch of books right after Christmas in all of the huge online/in store sales. I am suffering from too many excellent books! My plan is to return all of the library books, even the ones I have been wanting forever and reading some of my own books for a change. I actually have books that I bought last summer and still haven't even picked up! I may have a slight addiction =D. Hope you all have a fantastic week! I am hoping the kids I deal with aren't insane since we had a snow day on Friday and a half day on Tuesday.


OH! I almost forgot! I started watching Lost (again) from the first season. There is no way that I will be caught up by the time the new season starts, but I am making an effort. If you love Lost (or good music) you should check out The Oceanic Six, a band made up of three YouTubers/Wizard Wrockers. They are incredible!

No comments: